Thursday, October 4, 2012

I Don't Want To Be VOICELESS

Have you guys heard of the Philippine's R.A No. 10175? Well, this act right here is also known as the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. And for those who haven't read about it yet, here's a link to R.A No. 10175.


On  the night  of October 2, 2012, I came home tired and weary from a 12-hour hospital duty at the operating room. I intended to sleep early that night but there was a nagging little voice at the back of my mind that kept on telling me to check my Facebook.
The moment I logged in, all I could see on my News feed were pictures, statuses and links about this law. People changed their profile pictures and cover photos as outcries of protest.
All of that totally woke me up.
I read and read all about the law, all the articles I could Google up, saw all the pictures, went to all the links, read and liked all the statuses, and practically everything there was.
I spent all night on the laptop that night. I didn't eat my dinner, I didn't change out of my nursing uniform and I didn't stop reading.

One question kept replaying on my mind: WHY?

I don't understand WHY this had to happen.
WHY the libel clause had to be inserted.
WHY can a simple act of sharing a photo on Facebook can send me to jail for 12 years?
WHY can a simple comment or even a retweet can get me sued for P200,000?
WHY is my freedom of speech is being taken away from me?
WHY can't we use that 50 million pesos in building hospitals or schools?
WHY can't we use that money to feed the less fortunate?
WHY?

As a blogger and a frequent internet user, this is totally unacceptable.
Therefore, I am an ANTI CYBER CRIME LAW NETIZEN.
I think this is the first law that has ALL the teenagers all so worked up and angry.

The government is taking away my freedom of speech. I will not sit back and relax when that happens. They are killing my Internet freedom as I know it. As we all Filipinos know it. 

I HOPE I GET HEARD WHEN I SAY, I DON'T WANT TO BE VOICELESS.






DON'T BE VOICELESS. BE HEARD. SIGN THE PETITION NOW AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.


2 comments:

  1. It's really a bum.. actually i'm doing a post too about this but haven't posted it yet. lol anyway beautiful post. anyway i awarded you with something just check it out http://anotsosecretlife2011.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-sisterhood-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete